Nursing Assistant (CNA) /Home Health Aide
Certificate - 3 credits
The nursing assistant program aims to prepare you for entry into the field of nursing assistants. Certified nursing assistants (CNAs) work in nursing homes, hospitals and other medical settings. The nursing assistant program at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN starts with the basics. You’ll start by working in a lab setting on campus. Then you’ll move on to a clinical environment such as a local hospital or long-term care facility. Graduates will be prepared to take the MN Nursing Assistant Registry test. Upon completion of the course, take the Nursing Assistant Test Out to complete your certification.View Catalog or Request Info
Visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the MN Dept of Employment & Economic Development, and the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) to gather valuable career information such as wage reports, career outlook, job prospects, industry trends, and career opportunities. These tools are available to help empower students to make informed decisions about their educational and professional paths.
Below you will find the Career Field and Career Cluster that this program is related to. Learn more about if this career area fits your interests!
Skills & Knowledge
- 100 hours of class and onsite training in a long term care facility
- Infection control principles/asepsis
- 58 skills listed by the MN Nursing Assistant Competency
- Basic body systems
- Identify emergency situations and implementation of appropriate procedures
Plan Your Education
The Program Guide is a tool to help you map out how to successfully get your degree at Lake Superior College.Nursing Assistant Program Guide
View approximate total tuition and fees for MN residents to complete this degree.Tuition and Fees
This program may be completed with a 3 credit course if pre-program requirements are met.
Nursing Assistant Course – 3 credit
To register for the Nursing Assistant course enter:
- course number 1400
- Subject: Nurse Assistant (NUNA)
Graduates will be prepared to take the MN Nursing Assistant Registry test. Upon completion of the course, take the Nursing Assistant Test Out to complete your certification.
Being a certified nursing assistant (CNA) is a rewarding career in itself, or a solid stepping stone toward a career in professional nursing.
Please note this certificate does not meet the minimum hour requirements for certification in Wisconsin.
- Dental Hygiene Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 82 credits
- Massage Therapy Diploma - 37 credits
- Medical Assistant Diploma - 40 credits
- Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate - 24 credits
- Medical Laboratory Technician Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 67 credits
- Phlebotomy Certificate - 9 credits
- Physical Therapist Assistant Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 74 credits
- Physical Therapist Assistant – Military Bridge Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 74 credits
- Practical Nursing Diploma - 40 credits
- Practical Nursing (LPN) Diploma - 40 credits
- Professional Nursing (RN) or Advanced Standing LPN Track Associate of Science (AS) - 64 credits
- Radiologic Technology Associate of Science (AS) - 78 credits
- Respiratory Therapy Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 78 credits
- Surgical Technology Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 60 credits