Medical Laboratory Technician
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 67 credits
Are you interested in working in a medical laboratory setting? How about performing tests that help diagnose and treat disease? If so, you may want to become a medical laboratory technician (MLT)! The medical laboratory technician program at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN provides the entry level knowledge and technical skills needed to work in a medical laboratory. MLT graduates leave the program prepared for the national certification exam.View Catalog or Request Info
Visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the MN Dept of Employment & Economic Development, and the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) to gather valuable career information such as wage reports, career outlook, job prospects, industry trends, and career opportunities. These tools are available to help empower students to make informed decisions about their educational and professional paths.
Below you will find the Career Field and Career Cluster that this program is related to. Learn more about if this career area fits your interests!
Skills & Knowledge
- Phlebotomy (drawing blood)
- Test specimens (blood, body fluids, tissues and cells) for abnormalities or diseases
- Analysis in hematology, microbiology, coagulation, urinalysis, clinical chemistry and transfusion service
- Internship with health care professionals – communicating test results and resolving diagnostic/testing inconsistencies
Plan Your Education
Updates have been made to admission requirements and/or pre-program course work for Fall of 2023. Please see an advisor for changes.
The Program Guide is a tool to help you map out how to successfully get your MLT degree at Lake Superior College.Program Guide
View approximate total tuition and fees for MN residents to complete this degree.Tuition and Fees
This program may be completed in 2 years if prerequisites are complete.
Goals and Outcomes
MLT Program Questions
Contact your advisor or
Crystal Schmidt, M.Ed., MLS(ASCP)CM.
MLT Program Director
After You Graduate
- Learn about pathways to Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) careers
- Already working as an MLT? Become an MLS right here in Duluth! St. Cloud State’s MLT to MLS program works with your LSC MLT degree (through articulation). Classes are held on LSC’s main campus using ITV. To get started: contact Louise Mills at SCSU ((320) 308-5438 [email protected]) or Crystal Schmidt, M.Ed., MLS(ASCP)CM, MLT Director (LSC) (218) 733-6939 [email protected].
- Application Deadline: Feb 1st, will continue to accept applications till June 1st if seats are available. See the SCSU website for application materials and information.
- MLT to MLS program contact:
Louise Millis, MLS Program Director (SCSU)
(320) 308-5438 [email protected]
- Dental Hygiene Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 82 credits
- Massage Therapy Diploma - 37 credits
- Medical Assistant Diploma - 40 credits
- Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate - 24 credits
- Nursing Assistant (CNA) /Home Health Aide Certificate - 3 credits
- Phlebotomy Certificate - 9 credits
- Physical Therapist Assistant Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 74 credits
- Physical Therapist Assistant – Military Bridge Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 74 credits
- Practical Nursing Diploma - 40 credits
- Practical Nursing (LPN) Diploma - 40 credits
- Professional Nursing (RN) or Advanced Standing LPN Track Associate of Science (AS) - 64 credits
- Radiologic Technology Associate of Science (AS) - 78 credits
- Respiratory Therapy Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 78 credits
- Surgical Technology Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 60 credits
“With high demand for med lab techs and scientists, you can pretty much get a job anywhere. The LSC medical laboratory tech program is challenging. It takes a lot of work and dedication, but if you push through, it is well-rewarding.”