Are you interested in working in a medical laboratory setting? How about performing tests that help diagnose and treat disease? If so, you may want to become a medical laboratory technician (MLT)! The medical laboratory technician program at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN provides the entry level knowledge and technical skills needed to work in a medical laboratory. MLT graduates leave the program prepared for the national certification exam.View Catalog or Request Info
Goals and Outcomes
MLT program questions
Contact your advisor or
Virginia Haynes MS, MLS(ASCP)CM
MLT Program Director
Skills & Knowledge
- Phlebotomy (drawing blood)
- Test specimens (blood, body fluids, tissues and cells) for abnormalities or diseases
- Analysis in hematology, microbiology, coagulation, urinalysis, clinical chemistry and transfusion service
- Internship with health care professionals – communicating test results and resolving diagnostic/testing inconsistencies
Plan Your Education
The Program Guide is a tool to help you map out how to successfully get your MLT degree at Lake Superior College.
SuperStrong® Career & Interest Assessment
After You Graduate
- Learn about pathways to Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) careers
- Already working as an MLT? Become an MLS right here in Duluth! St. Cloud State’s MLT to MLS program works with your LSC MLT degree (through articulation). Classes are held on LSC’s main campus using ITV. To get started: contact Louise Mills at SCSU (320-308-5438 [email protected]) or Virginia Haynes, MLT Director (LSC) (218) 733-5952 [email protected].
- Application Deadline: Feb 1st, will continue to accept applications till June 1st if seats are available. See the SCSU website for application materials and information.
- MLT to MLS program contact:
Louise Millis, MLS Program Director (SCSU)
(320) 308-5438 [email protected]
“With high demand for med lab techs and scientists, you can pretty much get a job anywhere. The LSC medical laboratory tech program is challenging. It takes a lot of work and dedication, but if you push through, it is well-rewarding.”
Approximate total tuition & fees for MN residents to complete this degree.
The MLT degree may be completed in 2 years if prerequisites are complete.