Certificate - 16 credits
Learn the skills you’ll need to get a job in the field of wildland firefighting at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN. After you complete this certificate you can get a job with Natural Resource Agencies as well as with private companies. You’ll need to do a background check before you get a job and a physical test each year. This certificate gives you the desired “Skills, Incident Command and Logistics” courses to prepare you for employment as a wildland firefighter. All courses meet the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) standards.
Visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the MN Dept of Employment & Economic Development, and the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) to gather valuable career information such as wage reports, career outlook, job prospects, industry trends, and career opportunities. These tools are available to help empower students to make informed decisions about their educational and professional paths.
Below you will find the Career Field and Career Cluster that this program is related to. Learn more about if this career area fits your interests!
Plan Your Education
The Program Guide is a tool to help you map out how to successfully get your degree at Lake Superior College.Program Guide
View approximate total tuition and fees for MN residents to complete this degree.Tuition and Fees
This program may be completed in 1 year if prerequisites are complete.Program Reports
Skills & Knowledge
- Mitigate hazardous materials releases and emergencies
- Pumps and water distribution systems
- Suppression techniques
- Fire department operations, station life, and working conditions
- fire weather and fire behavior
Fire and EMT > Fire and EMT
- Emergency Medical Technician Certificate - 9 credits
- Fire Fighter Certificate - 24 credits
- Fire Medic Certificate - 20 credits
- Fire Science and Administration Associate of Science (AS) - 60 credits
- Fire Technology Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 60 credits