Source: MN DEED website as of November 2016. Figures shown are median hourly wages rounded down to the nearest whole number.
A career as a firefighter can be dynamic and exciting…but the hours can also be long and the work can be physically demanding. Being a firefighter isn’t easy. But just about every firefighter will tell you they wouldn’t have it any other way. And the rewards FAR outweigh the risks. Interested? Enroll in the fire technology and administration AAS degree at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN. You’ll get the skills needed to fight fires, as well as a solid liberal arts education. You’ll graduate ready to be a fire equipment operator or an entry level company officer. Your liberal arts background will serve you well when looking for positions in leadership and management.View Catalog or Request Info
Skills & Knowledge
- Conduct building inspections
- Use the Incident Command System
- Function as an Emergency Medical Technician
- Mitigate hazardous materials releases and emergencies
- High level/high angle, confined spaces and water-related rescues
- Advanced skills in fire prevention and firefighting
- Fire department operations and management of fire services
Approximate total tuition & fees for MN residents to complete this degree. Starting Fall 2018, LSC will charge the same rates regardless of a student’s state of residence. Non-Minnesota residents will pay the same tuition rates as Minnesota residents.
The firefighter degree may be completed in 2 years if prerequisites are complete.
Potential Career Opportunities
- Fire engineer
- Forest firefighter
- Fire equipment operator
- Smoke jumper