Computer Information Systems (CIS) / Network Administration and Cybersecurity AAS
Do you want to get CompTIA, Cisco CCENT, Microsoft MCP, or EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) certified? If you do, start by getting your network administrator and cybersecurity associate in applied science degree at Lake Superior College. Graduates leave with the skills and knowledge needed to get certified. As a student, you’ll learn how to provide technical support for computer networks in business environments. You’ll learn server and network engineer skills, hardware support skills and security essentials. The Network Administration and Cybersecurity degree combines both networking and systems administration fundamentals, with a focus on defensive strategies to securing systems.
Visit cyberseek.org for information on cybersecurity employment growth across the country.
Visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the MN Dept of Employment & Economic Development, and the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) to gather valuable career information such as wage reports, career outlook, job prospects, industry trends, and career opportunities. These tools are available to help empower students to make informed decisions about their educational and professional paths.
Center for Cybersecurity
The LSC Center for Cybersecurity was established to provide a broad range of system security and information assurance services for local businesses and the community at large. The Center will provide students with real-world learning experiences in cybersecurity education through several business and government partnerships.
- Lake Superior College is a designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). LSC is the only two-year community and technical college in the Minnesota to earn this designation.
- Training lab simulates work environments and specific cybersecurity challenges in industries such as healthcare, government, transportation, and more.
- Cybersecurity program is ranked among the nation’s top online associate degrees by bestcolleges.com.
- This program may be completed in 2 years if prerequisites are complete.
Skills & Knowledge
- Open system interconnection (OSI) model
- Networking: Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Hardware installation, software configuration and management for computers, networks, routers
- Design, configure, implement and secure based on organizational needs analysis for computers, networks, routers
- Dynamical host configuration protocol (DHCP), domain name system (DNS), network shares and printing, remote access, user accounts and groups, desktop and network security
Students completing this degree and related certificate(s) can apply for jobs as: Computer User Support, Systems Analyst, Network/Systems Administrator, Information Security Analysts, Network/Systems Support, and Computer Network Support Specialists. In addition, students can sit for the following industry certifications:
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Linux+
- CompTIA Security+
Visit cyberseek.org for information on cybersecurity employment growth across the country.nmenb