Source: MN DEED website as of November 2016. Figures shown are median hourly wages rounded down to the nearest whole number.
Join the fast-growing field of medical assistants. Medical assistants have a wide range of skills. They’re good communicators. They have a knowledge of anatomy and physiology. They have experience working in the lab, clinic and medical office. At Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN we believe learning is best accomplished by doing. In our medical assisting program, you’ll be encouraged to participate in hands-on clinical experience. This is what gives our medical assisting graduates an advantage during their job search.View Catalog or Request Info
Skills & Knowledge
- Math required to prepare medications
- Lab tasks: perform simple lab tests, give immunizations
- Clinical tasks: record patients’ vital signs, take health histories and update electronic medical records, help doctors during exams
- Administrative tasks: schedule patient appointments, answer phones
Plan Your Education
The Program Guide is a tool to help you map out how to successfully get your degree at Lake Superior College.Program Guide
- LSC’s medical assistant program is accredited and affordable.
- You can be certified to work in any state. Medical assistants can pass a certification exam that’s recognized across the country, as opposed to a license that’s only good for one state.
- Medical assistant jobs are expected to increase by 23 percent through 2024, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which is faster than average growth.
- You’ll work regular hours. Working at a clinic means you can only work when the clinic’s open. Depending on the place of employment, medical assistants work occasional nights and weekends, yet fairly regular hours.
- Earning a medical assistant credential is considerably shorter than some heath care degrees (the program can be completed in one year).
Medical Assistant Pass Rates
Medical Assistant Pass Rates
|Year of Graduation||Total # of Program Graduates||Total # who took an exam||Total # of Exam Passers||Exam Pass Rate of All Graduates|
Approximate total tuition & fees for MN residents to complete this degree. Starting Fall 2018, LSC will charge the same rates regardless of a student’s state of residence. Non-Minnesota residents will pay the same tuition rates as Minnesota residents.
The medical assistant degree may be completed in 1 year if prerequisites are complete.
Potential Career Opportunities
- Doctor's assistant
- Clinical assistant
- Medical office assistant
- Ophthalmic technician
- Optometrist assistant
Duluth Median Wage
Minnesota Median Wage
US Median Wage
The Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Graduates of the Medical Assistant program at Lake Superior College are satisfied with the education they receive at Lake Superior college, as there is an average 100% graduate satisfaction rate over the past five years. In addition, the five year employer satisfaction rate is 100%.