People who have kidney failure need a life-saving treatment called dialysis, a process that cleans the blood using hemodialysis equipment. This important procedure is performed by dialysis patient care technicians. Lake Superior College’s 100% online dialysis patient care technician program prepares students to care for the whole dialysis patient – from maintaining all of the equipment, to ensuring patient comfort, to recognizing any issues that may arise during treatment. The nation’s growing rates of obesity, hypertension and diabetes mean the need for dialysis patient care technicians is on the rise.
Dialysis patient care technicians typically work standard hours (no holidays) and experience a great deal of independence in their work. It’s a highly rewarding field for people who enjoy caring for others and building relationships with their patients who will visit a dialysis center for the rest of their lives or until they receive a kidney transplant. Many centers offer excellent benefits not reflected in the hourly wage, such as 401K plans, health insurance and tuition reimbursement for employees who wish to further their education.View Catalog or Request Info
Skills & Knowledge
- Comprehensive knowledge of basic dialysis theory
- Issues and trends related to dialysis
- Kidney anatomy, function, and failure
- Principles of hemodialysis
- Dialysis delivery system, water treatment systems, and hemodialyzer reuse
- 100% online
- Completion of the national exam certifies graduates to work as a dialysis patient care technician anywhere in the United States
- Program taught by first-rate faculty who are practitioners in the field
- Students are eligible for financial aid if concurrently enrolled in the dialysis patient care technician program (12 cr.) and the nursing assistant/home health aide course (4 cr.)
- Additional opportunities available for those who also complete a nursing assistant/home health aide course.
Approximate total tuition & fees for MN residents to complete this degree. Starting Fall 2018, LSC will charge the same rates regardless of a student’s state of residence. Non-Minnesota residents will pay the same tuition rates as Minnesota residents.
In as little as
The dialysis technician degree may be completed in as little as 1 semester if prerequisites are complete.
Potential Career Opportunities
- Dialysis patient care technician (1, 2 and 3)
- Dialysis technician
- Certified Medical Technician (CMT)
Dialysis theory with clinical internship
Start your job search with clinical training on your resume. LSC offers an advanced certificate to add a clinical internship to the basic dialysis theory certificate.